28 June 2010

don't trust bad news


Can Tho 25Jun10

As we checked in at Hanoi airport the lady at the counter told us our plane to Da Nang would be delayed by 1.5 hours.
The plane would leave at 2pm instead of 12:30.
"OK?" she asked me. 
"Ok!" - what else could I say ?

What if I told her "Sorry, not ok, please fly the plane on time !?"
Of course I said nothing out loud.
"Vietnamese airlines will provide free lunch at the Nasco restaurant" she told us.
She wrote something on our boarding passes to let use collect our free lunches.

My travelling companion and I settled down for a long wait.
I pulled out the old laptop, found a wireless network and logged in (I just love the way Vietnam is wired, all hotels, airports everywhere, wireless internet is standard, no stuffing around with credit card payments and time limits, and its free).

We decided to wait until later with lunch.

Stange, there seemed to be another flight to Da Nang as well, and that flight seemed to leave at 12:30, exactly the same time our original flight was supposed to leave.
I listened again, the flight  code ended in the number nine, our flight code ended in the number nine. This was too much of a coincidence.
I checked my boarding pass.
"S***t !" this was our flight, leaving at the original time after all.

We sat in the plane ready for takeoff by 12:30.

Seventeen passengers were missing, they had wandered off, believing they had time because of the delay.
Now we had to wait for the people who had trusted the bad news.
Ironic, we were delayed because people believed there would be a delay.

After 10 mins a whole group of people entered and we were ready.

Usually a delay is unexpected and drags on and on. I once spent 6 hours in a plane waiting for take off, every hour we were told it would be another hour.

This time the delay was not required, we just took off as per normal.

So don't always trust bad news, be cynical about cynicism   :-) 
Over Southern Vietnam, Mekong Delta June2010- TurboProp ATR72


No comments:

Post a Comment


Aswan, Egypt, Tombs of the Nobles