14 November 2011

stomach bugs, belly problems

If you ever have a stomach problem like this lady:

Dear Universe please let a truck stop, I think I need help arranging my funeral

My stomach gives up sometime during the night as I am camping during the season’s first frost and I lose track exactly how many times I have hurled. When the sun comes up in the morning, I pack up and decide to pedal into the closest town to look for a pharmacy or a place to die, whichever comes first.


There is an old non chemical way to deal with stomach bugs of all types that I've used in India 1978:

It's called the plunger system, (if you are squeamish stop reading here)  :-)

  1. you eat a lot of dry oats, or the Indians have just dry chaff,
  2. you eat it raw, no fluid, or as little as possible. 
The oats/chaff/dry stuff expands in your stomach, and moves down the system like a "SOAK IT ALL UP" plug.

works wonders (at least in my experience)
works when pills won't anymore

In Thailand they have carbon tablets to do a similar job.

hope you never need to try this

:-)


PS: the reason it works when pills and chemicals won't is that it's purely mechanical, you effectively create a big sponge that soaks up all the crud and moves it down and out.

With pills you have to get the right ones. If you get the right ones all is fine. But if you get pills for Amoeba's and you have the 'other' variety of bug, they won't help and vice versa.

Saigon 2011 Tao Da Temple
The Plunger works on anything. If it doesn't - time to call it quits.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Aswan, Egypt, Tombs of the Nobles