25 February 2011

the value of first aid - VS feeling useless

Saigon going from  D7 to D1:
25Feb11 driving home today man on bridge, lying in heat, blood down his face, big bump on back of head. 
I stop to feel his pulse. 
normal, strong, about 60/min. 
no one knows what to do, they all wait for the ambulance. 
they mark the road with the outline of the bike, 
they leave him in the heat. 

do I move him, ? 
do I put his feet higher than his head ? no he has head injury, 
I have no idea,  I do nothing. 

I feel useless I leave. 

later I remember: unconscious people can feel and hear soothing kind presence, even if I can DO nothing I could be there and just hold his  arm. Provide shade. Check his breathing...
hm.... 
I hope there is no next time... but if so.... then next time

No comments:

Post a Comment


Aswan, Egypt, Tombs of the Nobles