04 March 2011

success stinks VS sour grapes

I'm a small time blogger, "and ah'm jes' doin' ma thang dude..."
And like all bloggers "I wanna get bigger, yea ....!!! "
I want lotsa people to read my shit ! 
I wanna see ma name up in lights ! Yea!!!

I looked around the blogosphere and I saw those successful bloggers, 
with their  HUGE traffic ratings on Google analytics. 
I'm jealous. 

I looked a little closer then
what was this glitz and ritz ? 
what about those ads that clutter up the space ? 
free ipod giveaways ? 
what's going on here ? 
Is this a shopfront or a blog ? 

it's corporate tactics, 
its 'win this, and win that' kinda shit, 
carefully crafted, cleverly designed, for consumer maximization,
that's just commercialization 

the hippy has sold out to the corporation
money talks 

if successful blogging means 
- "enter now to win this...and win dat..."
- flashing ads
- glitzy and ritzy websites 

- free this and free that and "hurry and enter now to win some crap...." 

no, thanks, that's not what I'm aiming at. 

I'm not at those heights (yet),
Now I'm a quiet little blogger 
Of course I wanna be read by millions... 
but my way:
no pushing 
no ads to suck you into my site
no ipod giveaways for you to win, nothin'to enter, nothing to get for free.
read my stuff 'cause you like it 
or don't 
that's it. 

if success is
Sea gulls fighting over bread crumbs, 
Monkeys fighting over bananas, 
I'll go another way... . 
       Sour grapes ? 
ask me in 10 years... when I'm big and famous....doing it my way, 
with no ads, no give aways, no greed based enticements...just good stuff for what it is.... 
It might look homely and dorky and a bit messy... 
and  it won't be everyone's cuppa tea... 
oh well, C'est la vie.. :-)

-- wow this has turned into a manifesto of sorts. hm.....

###  references: some of my thoughts were shaped by the writings below: or more precisely: I found confirmation for my views in the writings of others and then had the courage to say it :-)  

Recently I found myself at a Hindu temple in Darjeeling (India), surrounded by monkeys who displayed behavior not unlike that of members of my own race. The strong bullied the weak, the old were teased by the young. And mothers cared for and protected their children.
Life is thus. So it always has been. So it will probably always be. When it comes down to it, we are but a strange tribe of monkeys fighting over bananas.
from http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/buying-gems-at-the-source-dicks-law.htm




No comments:

Post a Comment


Aswan, Egypt, Tombs of the Nobles