12 March 2011

the humanness of Vietnam: Nutella Baguette

Saigon District 1, Feb 2011

There is a place where they  have soup and baguettes even at midnight.
I have Nutella at home, all I need is a baguette and the walk will do me good.
I get my baguette at the end of Nguyen Du street for 3000 Dong (15cents AUD) and turn back along Ly Tu Trong Street, opposite Norfolk Mansion. It's 10:30pm. 
No one walks on my side of the street, just a lady dressed like a housewife walks in front of me.
"Hello"
"Hello"
"I come with you."
"I don't think  so"
"why not?"
"--------no answer---------"
"I'm hungry."
blah blah blah etc...

"Stomach small"
"I'll buy you a meal, but no money"
"Ok"
we walk some more.
"I come with you"
"No I don't think so"She is mid 30's nice looking, normal lady. I'm surprised she acts like this.  
"why"
"--------no answer---------"
"why"
"--------no answer---------"
"why"
"--------no answer---------"
"why you don't want me"
"--------no answer---------"
"I'm hungry."

Fine, let's see if she is really hungry. I pull out my baguette, give it to her. 
She takes it. No inhibition.
"Hang on", I take the baguette back and break off a bit for myself. "I'm hungry too"
She takes back the rest.
Well there goes my Nutella baguette, oh well....
We kind of go the same direction.
She holds up her bit of baguette, "very good"
I give her a thumbs up...
She walks along on the other side of the road and eats the baguette, we are heading in the same direction.
I duck into a convenience store.


we part ways...
21Feb11, Saigon


Yes you who must leave everything that you cannot control.
It begins with your family, but soon it comes around to your soul.
Well I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned:
When you're not feeling holy, your loneliness says that you've sinned.
---- Leonard Cohen, - Sisters of Mercy




1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's really interesting Hikes!

    Nutella baguette, haha - a Vietnamese delicacy? :-P

    ReplyDelete


Aswan, Egypt, Tombs of the Nobles