29 April 2011

bootstrapping your education: do it yourself English in Vietnam




I went to the Tango juice bar & cafe the other day.
I was greeted by a young university student working as a waitress. Her English was good and different. 
She spoke fluently, colloquial natural English. 
It was too natural to come from an "institution". She either spent time overseas, had a foreign boyfriend or something else...
I was curious. 
"where did you learn English ?" - I like to ask this. 
"By myself." 
"You mean you didn't go to an English School ? " 
"Yes." She looks a little hesitant, as though it was bad to admit this. 
"Wow, your English is great. How did you teach yourself." 
"Movies. I listen and repeat whatever I hear." 
We chat some more. 
Turns out she studies in English books like the "The Seven habits of successful people..."
She asks customers what the difference between five star and this Cafe is in terms of service. 
Her study area is Hospitality. 
At home she has paper and notes of English words everywhere. 

All this is self discovered. 
She does not have the funds for expensive English Schools. It's not the piece of paper she needs it's the ability. 
So she gets it. 
Herself. 
Movies, books, practicing with foreign customers in the cafe. 
Whatever way she can. 

She is not the only one. 
I've since met others, who do the same. 

There are English conversation clubs all over Saigon. 
Before I leave she asks my name. 
She's called Nhi. 

I can't imagine this level of informal exchange in a Western context. Maybe that's just me. 
And I haven't seen this kind of self motivation in many other places. 
Vietnam impresses me.

4 comments:

  1. Wow,Like me never learn from English schools learn from Movies and song but seem not work because I'm not speak out and scare foreigner (Farang) How can I fix of this ?

    Thanks
    Dexter in Laos

    ReplyDelete
  2. by taking small steps.
    make a small goal: to say hello and smile.
    that is all.

    then set a slightly bigger goal...

    and by remembering:
    even if make mistakes, who cares.

    if you never want to fall, you never learn to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you remember me ? I'm DDD's IT manager at Laos we met before also in your skype list
    Thanks you about your recommend, Just want brave hard to talk with Farang

    ReplyDelete
  4. we met in 2008, yes.
    There is you and sheshofu right ?

    good luck with speaking in English.
    I have the same shyness speaking in Vietnamese, - I now live in Vietnam.

    I asked a Vietnamese to sit down and teach me one hour a week.
    Haiko

    ReplyDelete


Aswan, Egypt, Tombs of the Nobles